Hm, we may be hyping this up a little too much.
For some reason, we're having a hard time figuring out exactly how to describe the trip. Maybe it's because so much awesomeness in one place at one time is hard to articulate. Maybe it's because we've always been raised to believe that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. We don't know. So we thought we'd just post some of our favorite memories from our week:
Landmarks and Touristy Stuff
Our hotel (Mandalay Bay) was gorgeous, but we had to stop by a lot of the other famous hotels and casinos.
For the first time... our view included more than just a parking lot or brick wall!
We made sure to see as many of the cliche, true Vegas sights as we had time for. These included:
- The MGM Grand
- Excalibur - Or as we like to call it 'The Cartoon Castle'. We really believe this is what it would be like to live inside a Disney princess movie.
- The Luxor pyramid and sphinx
- The fake Eiffel Tower at Paris, Las Vegas
- The fake Statue of Liberty and fake Empire State Building at New York, New York (see more below)
- The fountain show outside the Bellagio
- Caesars Palace
- Cirque de Soleil's Zumanity
Excessive Eating and Drinking
Do not go to Las Vegas if you're on a diet, because you will not stay on it. We ate some amazing food while we were in Vegas. There were so many choices right in Mandalay Bay that we didn't even have to leave our hotel to dine on some delicious food from some famous chefs. We also drank a lot. A.LOT. Some of our most memorable drinking and dining experiences included:
- Hubert Keller's Burger Bar - Easily one of the best burgers we've ever had. They also have a 'dessert burger' made from Nutella and sandwiched between donuts. Talk about excess!
- Lupo by Wolfgang Puck - At first we were a little skeptical about Wolfgang Puck having an Italian trattoria, but wow are we glad we gave it a chance. Amazing food.
- Hussong's Cantina - We're not sure who this Hussong guy is, but they had great happy hour specials. A taco + a 24 oz. Tecate beer for $5, 2-for-one margaritas, and half-price nachos! Throw in a mariachi band playing cover songs and we were in heaven. When the waitress asked us if we'd like a to-go cup for our drinks, we were in a place better than heaven.
- Bayside Buffet - What trip to Vegas would be complete without eating at a buffet? We definitely overdid it, but it was worth it.
- House of Blues - We actually ate here twice and also went back one night to get drunk and dance to 80s and 90s music.
- Fat Tuesday - Home of the giant slushy drinks. You know the ones...
- Liquid - The official BlogWorld party on Friday night was at the pool lounge at the Aria hotel. We had a lot of fun! (We had less fun at Haze, also in the Aria hotel. That was just like your typical dark, overpriced NYC club. Been there, done that. Boring. But Liquid was fun!)
- Mix Lounge - on the rooftop of TheHotel... The drinks were overpriced (think New York City prices) but the view was amazing.
Only in Las Vegas
- Slot machines EVERYWHERE - even in the airport!
- Elvis, just chilling, having a drink at the bar.
- Donny and Marie's faces huge on the side of a building. Scary. (The Flamingo hotel)
- A phone next to the toilet and a TV over the sink. Technology = Progress.
- What's the difference between a Long Island iced tea and a Las Vegas iced tea? Redbull.
'Only the ESC'
- Waking up at 6:00 am and going to the gym (because I couldn't sleep due to the time zone change). Only time that's EVER happened. And probably the only time that will ever happen again.
- We mentioned above that we were... well, unimpressed by New York, New York. The whole time we were there we went over all the things that fake New York totally missed when it comes to recreating the true New York experience. No graffiti? No street performers? No homeless people?
- "Should we get up and go to the Keynote Address... or should we go chill at the beach?"
- Sometimes, even in a city as amazing as Las Vegas, you just need to take a few hours to chill out and watch some mindless TV like a Jersey Shore marathon.
- You can drink out on the street in Las Vegas. No really.
- Just because you paid for the buffet, doesn't mean you have to eat everything you see.
- Cash out when you're ahead!!
Best slot machine ever.
We won money while listening to music and watching cartoon Village People dance!
Related Vegas Posts
- 10 Things About BlogWorld '10
- Mandalay Bay Really Wants You To See The Lion King
- Questionable Slot Machines
We did win a little bit of money at the slots, but we're still paying for our trip... so please feel free to make a donation to the Save the ESC / ESC World Domination Fund.