HR3 - The No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion ActA bill introduced by Republicans in the House that attempted to redefine and create hierarchies of rape and incest in order to further limit the small number of abortions that are funded by Medicaid. After a huge outcry, the House GOP agreed to alter the language of the bill to make it slightly less outrageous.
- The bill itself is available on Open Congress. Check the list of co-sponsors to see if your Rep is there.
- Amazing HR3 coverage and activism on Tiger Beatdown. Start here:
- The House GOP's Plan to Redefine Rape [Mother Jones]
- GOP loses 'forcible rape' language [Politico]
- Democratic Reps. Unimpressed With New House Abortion Bill [TPMDC]
- Choice Rankings [The American Prospect]
HR358 - The Protect Life ActA bill introduced by House Republicans that would make it essentially impossible for women to get insurance coverage for abortion in new state health insurance exchanges. It also contains a "conscience" provision that would allow hospitals to refuse to perform abortions or provide referrals even in cases where the abortion is necessary to save a woman's life. Should be more accurately named the Women Are Expendable Act or Fetus? Yay! Women? Eh.
- The bill on Open Congress.
- New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion [TPM DC]
- Protecting Life? New Bill Says Its OK to Let Women Die [RH Reality Check]
- "Protect Life Act" Wins Approval From House Committee [RH Reality Check]
- No Choice At All [The Daily]
House Votes to Defund Planned Parenthood, Title XHouse Republicans are basically trying to strip all federal funding from any programs that have anything at all to do with abortion or contraception.
- House Votes to Defund Planned Parenthood, Title X [Big Think]
- Coordinated Anti-Choice Attacks on Planned Parenthood: FAQ [Planned Parenthood Action Center]
- Revealing Her Own Abortion, Rep. Speier Criticizes Conservatives For Failing To Empathize With Women [Think Progress]
- The Siege of Planned Parenthood [New York Times]
- Mike Pence’s war on Planned Parenthood [Politico]
- Ohio Abortion Bill Poses Biggest Challenge to Roe v. Wade Yet [ABC News]
- South Dakota bill 'license to kill' abortion providers? [Washington Post]
South Dakota Shelves Controversial 'Justifiable Homicide' Bill [TPMDC]
- Senate committee passes sonogram bill [KXAN - Austin, TX]
- Using force to get their way, in America [Maddow Blog]
- GA State Rep.: There’s No Such Thing as a Rape Victim [DLCC]
- GOP: Yes to Contraception for Wild Horses, No for Women [RH Reality Check]
- In First Month Of Legislative Session, GOP Lawmakers In Five States Seek To Eliminate, Criminalize Abortion [Think Progress]
- Wyoming sends abortion bill to farm committee ("I guess maybe some of these men think we are livestock!?") [Maddow Blog]
What You Can Do
- Contact your representatives in Congress and tell them that these anti-choice bills are unacceptable. Go here to find your rep and send and email, or call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be connected to your representative's office.
- Sign the I Stand With Planned Parenthood petition. You can also show them some love on Twitter using the #thanksPPFA hashtag.
- Participate in the Walk for Choice on Saturday, February 26th. Start with the Walk for Choice tumblr to find a walk near you. (New walks are being organized everyday.) We're going to try to attend Walk for Choice NYC.
- If you have a blog, join Fair and Feminist's I Stand with Planned Parenthood blog carnival.
- Donate to Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice America, Emily's List, the National Network of Abortion Funds, or the local abortion fund or pro-choice politician of your choice.
If anyone has any more good articles, blog posts, suggestions, or whatever else to offer, please leave them in the comments.